Your dog’s feet aren’t just made for walking. In fact, they serve a precious purpose. The pads provide extra support to help protect bones and joints from shock, provide insulation from extreme weather, aid walking on rough surfaces, and help protect deep tissue within in the paw. It’s no wonder your pet’s paws take a bit of a beating. Follow these paw care tips and you will always be one step ahead of your pet.
- Pampering Pedicures: If your dog’s nails are clicking or snagging on the floor, it’s time for a puppy pedicure.
- Snip and Trim: It’s extremely important to trim paw hair regularly to avoid matting. All you need is a grooming tool to simply comb the hair out and trim evenly around the pads. Millers Forge Pet Grooming Scissors are a good option for in-home grooming. The rounded blunt tips ensure safety when trimming.
- In Between: Make sure to clean in between your pet’s pads. Be sure to check regularly for foxtails, small bits of broken debris and pebbles. VetDepot offers the Magnifying Pet Tweezers by Miracle Point are great for safely removing ticks, thorns, fleas, splinters or burrs.
- Moisturize: With the wear and tear of your pet’s pads be sure to use a good pad moisturizer to help treat and prevent cracking and dryness.
- Pup Paw Massage: Who doesn’t enjoy a relaxing massage? Similar to giving a human massage, a paw massage will promote better circulation and be very relaxing for your pet.
- Dodge the wintertime blues: Don’t let frosty steal the holiday cheer from your pet. Be sure to rinse off your pet’s paws in warm water to get rid of the salt and toxic chemicals that can cause sores, infections and blistering.
- TLC – tender, love and care: Just like us, our dogs need some TLC. Your pet’s paws are unforgiving, so be sure to treat them right.