Household Poisons to Keep Away From your Pet

May 24, 2012

Pet_PoisonsWe love our pets dearly and always have their best interest at heart.  While you do your best to protect them, there can be many known and unknown toxins lurking in your house or yard.  Take a moment to review the top pet poisons below so that you can take steps to keep them away from your furry friend.

Human medications can be extremely harmful to your pet if ingested and even veterinary medications if a pet consumes more than what is prescribed.  Whether it’s a prescription medication or over the counter, it’s easy to drop a pill on the floor and pets, especially dogs are infamous for finding them.  Human medications such as ibuprofen and acetaminophen can kill your pet, it is never recommended to give your pet any medication without consulting your vet first.

People food is at the top of the list as well.  As you may know, chocolate is guilty of being the number one people food that a pet ingests.  We love it, why wouldn’t your pet?  Maybe they’re a closet chocoholic too!  Too much of a good thing is seriously harmful to your pet and it can cause diarrhea, vomiting, high heart rate and even seizures.  Also, any food containing xylitol (sugar substitute) can cause seizures and liver failure in canines.

Insecticides and rodenticides don’t just kill those pesky ants or mice they can really hurt your pet.  We’re talking about the products that are used on the lawn or in the house and even the ones used on the pet.  Always, always read the label before using an insecticide and never apply a product labeled for dogs on cats.  Also, don’t underestimate the investigative skills Fido, a lot of bait is grain based which is enticing to your pup.

Lastly, household plants and flowers such as lilies can cause kidney failure and possibly death in felines.  Please review this list of toxic and non-toxic plants by the ACPCA to make sure your pet can’t get into them.  Fertilizers and other lawn and garden items can be attractive to your pet yet very harmful.  If you think your pet has ingested any of the items listed above please contact your veterinarian right away or the Animal Poison Control Center’s 24 hour hotline at (888) 426-3345.  Remember not to panic and that rapid response is key to saving your pets life if they’ve consumed a toxin.  It’s also a good idea to keep some healthcare and first aid supplies on hand.  Keep your four-legged friend happy and healthy and they’ll give you all the love in the world!

Previous post:

Next post: